I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
I know I’ve reblogged this before, but it bears re-reblogging (?). This is how you respond to abuse, this is how you give people control over their bodies/uteruses, this is how you act as a generally non-judgmental and compassionate person. I love this story so fucking much.
- oxhair likes this
- artygirl42 reblogged this from awh4rry
- wikidmindatwork reblogged this from sameatschildren
- harroldschapel reblogged this from awh4rry
- alittlebriton reblogged this from kangeiko
- lilymarie13 likes this
- awh4rry reblogged this from criesbc1d
- jack-of-these-trades reblogged this from pintsizedfangirl
- quecarito reblogged this from thebenedictcumberbatchsituation
- quecarito likes this
- spittingonpussieswithjustin likes this
- thesmellofpetrichor reblogged this from rivermask
- acidic-guccis likes this
- jmkfan reblogged this from pintsizedfangirl
- jmkfan likes this
- thetaste-that-yourlips-allow likes this
- louisblogger reblogged this from criesbc1d
- balls4lunch reblogged this from ladygolem
- mylifeindisguise likes this
- light-of-my-life-niall likes this
- light-of-my-life-niall reblogged this from criesbc1d
- ladygolem reblogged this from hexcolour
- ladygolem likes this
- parklady likes this
- criesbc1d reblogged this from niallgetinmypants
- full-moons-and-hairy-problems likes this
- ariaes reblogged this from endquestionmark
- paoliniisthatyou reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- thebenedictcumberbatchsituation reblogged this from pintsizedfangirl
- dinobowties reblogged this from pintsizedfangirl
- frankieros-andmilk likes this
- polymerdespair likes this
- goldenswallowtail reblogged this from pintsizedfangirl
- goldenswallowtail likes this
- pintsizedfangirl reblogged this from rivermask
- rivermask reblogged this from datriux
- secretwizard reblogged this from hexcolour
- steady-thestars reblogged this from livewellovemuch
- rocketeer-raccoon likes this
- hexcolour reblogged this from theradicalidea
- phreakshownovel likes this
- drcoxsredwingsjersey likes this
- illshowyousq reblogged this from holdencauliflowers
- prettysurei likes this
- ahimsa-veganism reblogged this from veg-anna
- ahimsa-veganism likes this
- omgbaxxy reblogged this from mini-moonporcupine
- mini-moonporcupine reblogged this from veveelover18
- luthienpotter reblogged this from keptein
- thecanadiangovernment reblogged this from thebetterwaz