I know I’ve told this story before, but my abusive ex refused to let me take birth control. I was on the pill until he found them in my purse.
I went to the Student Health Center—they were completely unhelpful, choosing to lecture me about the importance of safe sex (recommending condoms) instead of actually listening to my problem.
Then I went to Planned Parenthood. The Nurse Practitioner took one look at my fading bruises and stopped the exam. She called in the doctor. The doctor came in and simply asked me: “Are you ready to leave him?” When I denied that I was being abused, she didn’t argue with me. She just asked me what I needed. I said I need a birth control method that my boyfriend couldn’t detect. She recommended a few options and we decided on Depo.
When I told her that my boyfriend read my emails and listened to my phone messages and was known to follow me, she suggested to do the Depo injections at off hours when the clinic was normally closed. She made a note in my chart and instructed the front desk never to leave messages for me—instead, she programmed her personal cell phone number into my phone under the name “Nora”. She told me she would call me to schedule my appointments; she wouldn’t leave a message, but I should call her back when I was able to.
And that was it. No judgment. No lecture. She walked me to the door and told me to call her day or night if I needed anything. That she lived 5 blocks from campus and would come get me. That I wasn’t alone. That she just wanted me to be safe.
I never called her to come to my rescue. But I have no doubt that she would have come if I had called. She kept me on Depo for a year, giving me those monthly injections in secret, helping me prevent a desperately unwanted pregnancy.
I cannot thank Planned Parenthood enough for the work they do.
I know I’ve reblogged this before, but it bears re-reblogging (?). This is how you respond to abuse, this is how you give people control over their bodies/uteruses, this is how you act as a generally non-judgmental and compassionate person. I love this story so fucking much.
- tickleeemesilly likes this
- thefaultinourpizza likes this
- thefaultinourpizzas reblogged this from edwardspoonhands
- stillhearyourghost reblogged this from plannedparenthood
- awkwardly-outspoken reblogged this from smauglings
- stick-them-with-the-pointy-end reblogged this from d0ct0rwh0f4n
- d0ct0rwh0f4n reblogged this from dontbeanassbutt
- healthierstudentlife reblogged this from healthystudentlife
- emchy likes this
- materialworld likes this
- rosainverno reblogged this from thechocolatebrigade
- sockrocker44 likes this
- theycallmecarmensalad likes this
- codenamehexx likes this
- stayhalcyon likes this
- collidingmind reblogged this from just-a-random-me
- collidingmind likes this
- just-a-random-me reblogged this from animefreak808
- just-a-random-me likes this
- animefreak808 reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- animefreak808 likes this
- mymanservantclaude reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- calumschicbones reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- calumschicbones likes this
- staygoldalex likes this
- 0ffthebeatenpathh likes this
- mandarbeezy likes this
- kill3rfreak reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- the-little-things-in-our-lives reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- the-little-things-in-our-lives likes this
- eggkid reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- sapphirechao likes this
- afraidofaids reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- smashedflowers likes this
- katieshab reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- serranomy reblogged this from hardcoregrandma
- hardcoregrandma reblogged this from amalzd
- hopelessfuckingromatic likes this
- pearlywhitegates likes this
- sammiefitzz likes this
- dragonelfwarrior likes this
- samiharayeda reblogged this from cerseisgoldencunt
- peregri likes this
- sodeceiving likes this
- faithfulfitness reblogged this from plannedparenthood
- faithfulfitness likes this
- holycatsitscat likes this
- finerthingsclubb likes this
- gwynnevita reblogged this from shesafreespirit